MD-11 previews? FMC?

<< < (77/103) > >>

Bill_Grabowski:
Sydney,

Do you know how to get info on V-speeds, cruise, climb, descent at various weights and conditions? Do you know when each of the altitude bugs appears?

Bill

uniuniunium:

Well, I realy don't know if I can help you guys in any way just because you so ahead in the develpment schedule. I read at least 8 or 9 pages (gonna read the rest) of this subject here and I am stunned! I like pretty much flying FS (mostly prop planes) and some of the jets (PMDG 37s).

Oh boy, I think your help could be invaluable to this project. Any real world experience (not to mention 2000 hours real world type experience) really brings a new element of realism to a project like this!

Sydy:

Sydney,
Do you know how to get info on V-speeds, cruise, climb, descent at various weights and conditions? Do you know when each of the altitude bugs appears?

Bill,

Yes, Varig has a policy of using a manual for Vspeed calculation. We use the optimal flap for each field. Basicaly we enter the weight, temperature, wind and get the V1, VR, V2,  we enter those (or confirm) on the FMC) and the VFr, VSr(V3) and Vcl (V Clean) we use from the FMC calcs.

The main problem of always using FMC speeds is that those are calculated to balanced fields where the acelerate/stop distance is equal to the field length and this only occurs rarely. If you want I can search on the performance tables for the take off graphics so you can adapt for the FMC.

About the altitude bugs, I understand you want to know where the S/C (Step Climb) bug appears. It's realy easy. You have to do very simple calc to get a fast answer(of course there is a table with the optimum step climb weight, for 2000 and 4000ft). The basic calculation for a 4.000ft step climb is the following: you get the constant 580 (or 586) and subtract the actual tonnage (Actual Weight). e.g. You have 220.000Kg (we use Kg in Varig) and wan to know the alt capability, you subtract 220 from 580 (I will explain when to use 586), so your optimum step climb is to max level 360 ( 580-220=360), so at this level you will get at least a 1.3g protection.

When to use 586 to this calculation? Well, many MD-11 suffered an improvement in aerodinamics and got improved performance. So you can use 586. In our example we got a 220T plane and in the "improved performance MD-11" we can climb to level 366 (I know you have to wait a bit to go to FL370) but that's how does it work? I am pretty sure you want an easy way to differ each type. Always easy (when you know it), you look at the windshiled wipers. If it's a parked horizontal wiper, this plane has not gone through the "improvement performance program" but if you see a vertical parked wiper, this plane can use 586 to calc the altitude capability.

I hope I help you out of this, at least. :-)

Let me know if you want the take off charts, so I can scan it and send to your e-mail.

All the best,

Sydney Rodrigues
sydney@jambock.com

Sydy:

Oh boy, I think your help could be invaluable to this project. Any real world experience (not to mention 2000 hours real world type experience) really brings a new element of realism to a project like this!

Barber,

Count on me for this project. I have a special interest in making it the closest of the real thing possible, I realy like the MD-11. Of course, sometimes I will be on duty flying around, but when I get the time to get home and work w/ you, I am pretty sure we can bring the panel and FMC to an upper level!

Well, let me post my picture working. Ok guys, welcome to my office. :-)

RMan32:
Hey John sounds good, with all this support, I have started redesigning my engine and oil gage MFD's . I'm into help thats for sure. I need side views,as I dont have any, and are difficult to replicate accurately, and any suggestions for making improvements to the main panel will be surely accepted. I need an accurate overhead, I already have all necessary switches and knobs made up. I would like the MFD's to be switchable like on my other panels. I don't really want to get off the topic here with Mr. Grabowski's MD-11 project, feel free to email me at rmetcalf28@yahoo.com. Im sure Mr. Grabowski would agree.   Sincere thanks,   RMan32

Navigation

Up one level

Next page

Previous page