FSnordic.net
Home Help Rules Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
23.08.17, 21:25

Login with username, password and session length
+  FSnordic.net Forums
|-+  English Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: Thomas Hjelm)
| | |-+  VATSIM Forums
:  

« previous thread next thread »
Poll
Question: Would you like an english speaking online flying forum  (Voting closed: 26.06.06, 22:44)
Yes, Its a great idea! - 18 (81.8%)
No, yet another one of my stupid ideas - 4 (18.2%)
Total Votes: 22

Pages: [1] Reply Print
Author Topic: VATSIM Forums  (Read 4888 times)
GBOAF
Former member
VATSIM Forums
« on: 28.05.06, 22:57 »

Hi All

How are you?

Just wandering what the chances of VATSIM members having their own forum like IVAO Finland and Sweeden have respective of their home nations?

Is this possible or another one of my silly ideas?

I just think it would be good for VATSIM members to discuss VATSIM things in their own forums than in General Discussion, for example.

What does everyone think and do you like my idea?

Regards

Gareth
BAW
Former member
Re: VATSIM Forums
« Reply #1 on: 28.05.06, 23:06 »

Hey Gareth;

VATSIM has its own servers for each VACC or Area/Region, each country is responsible for creating and maintaing their own forum, which 90% of all ACC's on the network do, you will have to find the ACC's website and it will be located their, that will be the official forum.

Depending on how much of an interest their is here, which at the moment is not alot, maybe an English Online Flying board could be created if enough interest was shown here? Maybe...
Martin Loxbo
Former member
« Reply #2 on: 29.05.06, 12:40 »

As I understand it, the IVAO divisions (at least the Swedish one) use FS Nordic more or less as an official forum and the primary communications channel for the division and its members. (Why the IVAO divisions feel a need to do it this way, ask them. Smiley)

VATSIM on the other hand has efficient forums elsewhere, on the VACC websites (such as the Scandinavian VACC at www.vaccsca.org/forum) as well as world-wide forums on the main VATSIM website (at forums.vatsim.net).

In the Swedish language section of the forums here, there is an online flying forum, which is intended for general topics regarding online flying (such as ATC/comms procedures or which network to choose...). As Joseph said, maybe there is a point in creating an English language equivalent, but then again there are lots of English language VATSIM forums elsewhere.
GBOAF
Former member
« Reply #3 on: 29.05.06, 22:23 »

ahhh ok thanks both. I was thinking more along the lines of it being like aq general discussion of VATSIM buti do like the idea of an English Flying Board does sound good as then you can ask the questions like comms/procedures in there and what to do in emergencies etc.

Shall I start a poll on this?
GBOAF
Former member
« Reply #4 on: 29.05.06, 22:36 »

so what sort of topics does the sweedish one contain?

all the usual like ATC Comms, procedures IFR flying, VFR flying etc?
GBOAF
Former member
« Reply #5 on: 29.05.06, 22:44 »

Hi all!

In another topic we were discussing about an idea of English speakers having their own online flying forum where they can ask questions about ATC Comms, Procedures, VFR and IFR flying, understanding what a METAR is and what all the code stands for etc?

Would people who fly online but are unsure in certain areas of online flying like this so as they can ask their question in a designated forum for VATSIM/IVAO and other online organisations and get honest profesional advice?

Please let me know what you think as I think that this is a good idea

Regards

Gareth
Martin Loxbo
Former member
« Reply #6 on: 30.05.06, 16:42 »

Yes, although the Swedish online flying forum is intended for both VATSIM and IVAO users, as well as those who are new to online flying and have questions that are not necessarily specific to one network.
BAW
Former member
« Reply #7 on: 30.05.06, 21:58 »

Topics merged
GBOAF
Former member
« Reply #8 on: 06.06.06, 22:01 »

OK thanks Joe
Sami Puro
Administrator

Date Registered: 03.07.01

« Reply #9 on: 08.06.06, 05:22 »

As I understand it, the IVAO divisions (at least the Swedish one) use FS Nordic more or less as an official forum and the primary communications channel for the division and its members. (Why the IVAO divisions feel a need to do it this way, ask them.)

Martin are you now confusing the (unofficial) general online flying forums and the network-speficic boards at Hosted boards section....?

Ivao-FI and Ivao-SE do have their own boards for the members of their division at the 'Hosted Boards' section of our forums. "Why they need to do this" ..? Because it's smart. And Why not? As FSN has the powerful servers, support and administration all set up and the divisions do not have to go through the trouble of maintaining their own forum. And as you see, there are others too - this "forum hosting" is one service that FSN provides for community, and we welcome Vatsim divisions too if they need such service  Grin   Most of their (these ivao div's) members visit FSN anyway, and this way the Ivao div's in question can easily reach their members and the members do not have to register to several different forums .. Both of the forums are very new though, so not much content there yet. And these forums, like mentioned, are made for the members of the divisions, not for Ivao topics ( - Ivao has it's own forums under their HQ).

Then there are the general online flying forums in "regular" Finnish and Swedish categories. These are for all kinds of discussion about all possible networks. And again creating such forum also to English section, would be just this general forum, not related to any particular network.
« Last Edit: 08.06.06, 05:25 by Sami Puro »

Manage your own airline: AirwaySim - the Airline Game
Martin Loxbo
Former member
« Reply #10 on: 12.06.06, 14:51 »

Martin are you now confusing the (unofficial) general online flying forums and the network-speficic boards at Hosted boards section....?

No, I was just trying to explain why you see a lot of IVAO activity in the FS Nordic forums, because they are used as primary communications channels between the IVAO divisions and their members, as opposed to the VATSIM VACCs which utilize their own forums instead.
GBOAF
Former member
« Reply #11 on: 12.06.06, 15:41 »

ahh ok fair enough.

Wat I was thinking was an english speaking forum for online flying in general, weather it be VATSIM ir ICAO, with the idea of it being used to discuss terminology, procedures, what to do in an emergency etc

is that ok with people?

Gareth
BAW
Former member
« Reply #12 on: 12.06.06, 21:13 »

It also depends on how much it would be used...and my guess would be, not very much. The amount of discussion in the General English Discussion to do with online flying is most of the time very limited, if any. Possibly the odd question every few weeks, therefore is there really such a high demand for that type of board here?  Undecided
GBOAF
Former member
« Reply #13 on: 12.06.06, 23:25 »

In the words of vicky pollard i would say: 'No but, yea but, no but year but OMG THERE IS THIS WHOLE OTHER THING THAT I DONT EVEN NO NUFFIN OR NUFFIN ABOUT SO SHURRUPP'!

no serriously now, looking at the results the trend is leaning more towards a yes that people do want a board on the FSnordic forums.

but then i suppose is it going to be worth putting up a forum of this nature if hardly anyone uses it?

But at the same time if we did have these boards available for people to use then would more people use them to ask questions and get help?

Is there any chance of setting one up any way for a sort of 'trial period' so as we can see if people use and how many people would use these new forums and if it will be bennificial?

Also if these boards do get the go-ahead who is going to moderate them and look out for any naughty or dodgy things that people may be posting?

Sorry the above has been a bit long-winded but had to ask these questions

Regards

Gareth
BAW
Former member
« Reply #14 on: 12.06.06, 23:44 »

Yes indeed the poll is leaning that way, i shall have a talk to the rest of the staff here and see what they think of the situation and then we will come up with a final decision. As i said before, this decision would be made on how much use the new board would get compared to how much use the current English General board gets in regard to online flying, anyway we shall discuss this and i shall let you all know the outcome when a decision has been made.

And as for Moderating, i would moderate a future board as it would be in the English language, but any other moderators would be decided upon by the administation, the big guns of the forum, as to whether this was needed  Wink
Sami Puro
Administrator

Date Registered: 03.07.01

« Reply #15 on: 23.06.06, 10:07 »

New online forum is opened: http://www.fsnordic.net/discussion/index.php/board,90.0.html

Please post your questions, comments etc about Vatsim, Ivao, and other networks there. Also fly-in announcements and others are most welcome!

Manage your own airline: AirwaySim - the Airline Game
GBOAF
Former member
« Reply #16 on: 23.06.06, 20:17 »

As Sami said, the new online forum has been oppened, and as such the voting has been locked.

Thank you all for your input and your views into what you would think about having an online flying forum.

Please find the link in the above post.

Thanks again

Gareth
Pages: [1] Reply Print 
« previous thread next thread »
Jump to: