FSX the good the bad and the ugly

(1/2) > >>

jostytosty:
I am not very satistfied with FSX.  Too much stutter on my machine which i thought ought to be good enough. P4D950 dual, RAID10, Ati x1900xt 512mb, DDR2 pc4300 1,5Gb. I couldn't afford more speed, FS2004 runs like a train or should I say supersonic jet while FSX works at 75% of the possibilities but with stutter. I hate this.
Is it all that bad then? Surely not there's a lot of eye candy in FSX. Personally I like thing like moving jetstairs, moving fueltrucks (+ the abbility to load fuel while allready in the cockpit) Traffic on the highways. The water is at times so realistic that you think you are in a film. Mountains however have large yellow fields with green squairblocks in it (not nice at all, certainly not for someone like me how flies through the Alps a lot) other parts of the mountains have improved. They have the feeling of rock on them. The mirroring in the cockpitwindows is wonderfull, love it  , it adds to the feeling of beeing in a 3D world. Flying at a hight of aprrox. 20 000 feet I  took a spotplanelook at myself flying. The world arround me was just a hint to colourfull. Okay it's auttum but would I notice that this much at this altitude? I  don't think so. Too much colour, to few dampness over the world below me. It's a kiddies world.
My ATItraytools tell me I got a frame rate of 100 at 32000 feet, it tells me i got a FPS of 40 taxiing. But as I make this turn at ENBR, where there are a lot of trees it's a slideshow (okay a fast slideshow, but anoying enough) Then I move on following a straight line, it's okay again. When I quit FSX,  I can see one of the problems: to few memory installed. FSX doesn't stop, but it slowly dissapears. The package says: 2Gb is best. Typpical Microsoft . If they say 2Gb is best they mean 4Gb, so lets get the fastest type of ddr2 memory and install a lot of it! I wonder if things would improve with Vista. Iff so that would mean even more expenses! Hardware and software ooops!  For people who are not yet willing to make a huge upgrade to their system I 'd say: don't buy FSX yet! FS2004 is better (kinder) for you, you are much better off! But then hey, you are probally the same as me and you can't wait, okay drop this 60 in to the sewer..... come on... do it...

kenkku:
FSX (obviously) requires a lot of computing power and dual core isn't exactly the optimum choice. At best it can use one core for the sim itself and the other one for loading terrain on the background..

Edit: I'm sure FSX is a giant leap forward and within a few months I bet you'll get a patch that might even solve some performance issues. For now, I've been thinking of trying X-Plane, the only thing is that there are not that much complicate aircraft like the LDS 763 and PMDG products on FS2004. Or maybe it's just me and I haven't found anything

BAW:
No Tero....FSX does NOT utilise Dual Core at all. The sim is designed only for single cores, it will run on a dual core, but will run in single core mode only, no better performance for a dual core user at all, it is only single core

kenkku:

No Tero....FSX does NOT utilise Dual Core at all. The sim is designed only for single cores, it will run on a dual core, but will run in single core mode only, no better performance for a dual core user at all, it is only single core

Yes it does.

So where can you use multiple threads? You use it where the interdepencies are loose and indeterminate wait times aren't readily noticable. In FSX we use multiple thread for texture decompression and certain types of file I/O. Consider terrain textures that must be loaded and decompressed as you fly along. Normally new textures are needed for the area at the edge of the visual scene. Using low-resolution versions for the initial display and then loading higher resolutions in the background works because texture swapping in the distance is not very noticable. In other words, it doesn't a matter if a texture is available immediately or several frames after it's requested because you likely won't notice the delay.
(The Last Word on Dual Core, tdragger blog)

BAW:
Oh my bad, didnt know about that. Good read

Navigation

Up one level

Next page