Concorde G-BOAD, Heathrow - Washington Dulles

(1/3) > >>

Nelarius:
Hello!!

I have fallen in love with the Concorde, and I thought I would do a little flight report from a flight I took. Instead of flying the usual EGLL-LJFK route, I decided to fly Washington Dulles. I prefer this route for two reasons: (1) Washington is situated a little bit inland, resulting in a subsonic cruise segment, which the flight a little more interesting (2) I have Megascenery for Washington!

The fuel required for this route was about 93 tonnes. In the beginning of the flight over half of the Concorde's weight is fuel; this is a very pretty bird, but a thirsty one (that's why I load the extra beer  ).

I'm sorry for the default airport at Dulles.

Before the flight can begin, I have to fill up the Concorde take-off form. I fill in, for example, the V-speeds, climb angle (called Theta-Two) and the burn time for the reheats (used in the noise abatentement procedures at Heathrow, today it is 79 seconds).

Today our airplane is G-BOAD. We are at gate 421, which Concorde used in real life. The first passengers are already sitting in the Concorde Lounge.

Going through the checklists. The plane has just been connected to ground power, and the plane's position has been inserted into the INS units.

Engines 3 and 2 are started at the gate, and the visor is lowered. Engines 4 and 1 are started during pushback.

Taxiing to rwy 27L, which is very near gate 421.

The nose has been lowered by 5 degrees now, which is the takeoff setting. Time for the taxichecklists.

During the taxi, the airplanes center of gravity is moved backwards by pumping fuel out of the forward trim tanks into the aft trim tanks. In addition, the ASOV's are tested by reversing the engines for a moment.

What a pretty sight...

There was a little bit of traffic at the runway, but at least this gives me a moment to rehearse the takeoff in my mind. Today's SID is the Compton 3G. Because the Concorde has no FMC, the SID has to be flown manually using VORs and NDBs. The reheats are armed at this stage, they will come automatically on as full power is applied.

3... 2... 1... NOW! The throttles are advanced to full power, and the reheats light up. The clock is started.

V1! Rotate!

3... 2... 1.. Noise! 79 seconds has passed, so the reheats are turned off and the throttle angle is reduced by 15 degrees.

The nose & visor have to be held down always when flying below 250 knots. Because the Concorde's delta wings were not suited for flying at such low speeds, the pilots always aimed to accelerate to VMO, which is the maximum speed. I was pretending at this stage that the ATC had not yet given me permission to accelerate above 250 knots.

Throttle is increased by 2% N2 as the plane climbs. In addition, the ATC has finally given me permission to accelerate to 400 knots, so I have raised the nose & visor.

Concorde was not allowed to fly supersonically above land, so before accelerating to Mach two, I have to fly a sub-sonic cruise segment (which I will have to do again when approaching Washington). My acceleration point is UPGAS, which is situated in the Bristol canal. The Flight Engineer reads out the DME to the waypoint, and when passing it, he lights the reheats and advances the throttle to full again.

A few seconds later I broke the soundbarrier. Some of the instruments in the cockpit go haywire for a moment as the pressure wave passes over the fuselage.

The reheats were held on until Mach 1.7, about 10-15 minutes. When the reheats are on, the Concorde can burn up to 80 tonnes of fuel per hour.

Here I had already accelerated to Mach 2. It happened faster than normal, as the air temperature was colder than usual (ISA -13). The cruise climb begins.

The cabin serving has begun; only gourmét-meals were served.

Paperless cockpit. In this picture is the Concorde en-route chart, which was used on all real Concorde flights.

More paper, this time the flightplan (on the right) and the checklists on the left.

Much later. New York is visible below the aircraft. The route turns soon after this over land: I will have to perform the "Fall of the Wall" descent procedure. The idea is to fly up to W70 30.0 and start a quick descent and deceleration, so that I don't boom the land and make citizens unhappy.

The procedure has been performed. I'm flying Mach .97, and the land is visible straight ahead.

Approaching Washington via the Philipsburg STAR.

Due to the ATC's request, the speed was slowed down to 240 knots. The nose & visor have been lowered.

Some suburbs of Washington.

Turning onto a (long) final approach for a landing at rwy 19R. For practise reasons I did a reduced noise approach (gotta keep the neighbours happy, eh? ).

Runway in sight!

The nose has been raised into the landing position, 12 degrees down.

There was a strong crosswind during the landing. At the last moment the plane swerved quite badly to the left. At this stage I turned the autopilot off.

Touchdown! Bounced a little.

Vacating the rwy via taxiway Y7. Time to dig the after-landing checklists out.

Engines 3 and 2 are shut down during the taxi. After the flight, the plane's weight is so much lighter that the engines are powerful enough to move the plane forward even at idle power.

Approaching the "gate"...

And so my flight is over.

Thanks for watching!

Babis:
Very nice pictures, once again

Kris Bulldog:
That is probably the best pics i have ever seen what program did you use to do those and what concorde add on pack did you use they go together like Beer and Crisps 

Nelarius:
Thanks for the comments, Andreas & Kris! Much appreciated.

Kris,

I used Walk & Follow (payware) for the camera angles. Then I edited the shots afterwards using Paint Shop Pro 9. The Concorde was made by SSTSim. Hope this helps.

Johann

AlexFlygare:
I don't like the concorde very much but these shots are amazing.

Great job as always!

/Elix

Navigation

Up one level

Next page