FSX:the good and the bad revisited, returning to FS9

(1/2) > >>

Iíve been playing FSX for quite a bit now but Iím considering to revert to FS9. Why? Exactly that what should make FSX special: the realism in the virtual world. Every time I take a look at the outside images of FSX I get upset by the fact that I look into a world that seem to come out of Sesamestreet. (!) The colouring of the landscape is so overdone that I canít relate it to images I know. It starts with far to blue skies. Blue from the horizon to deep outer space. While in reality the horizon where the sun is, is white. I look at the sunset, it is far to yellow and purple to be realistic. While at the same time I see the sea turn into a kind of green. The sea reflecting the stars (frame rates?) even when thereís a thick layer of clouds. But even so, Iím absolutely sure that I wonít be able to see the reflections of the stars at 20, 000  ft, yet I see them (at first I was amazed about what I saw and it took awhile to realise what it was)
The textures in Europe in this time of the year are mainly brown and yellow ochre according to Microsoft. Sorry gents it is not. Neither this warm 2007 winter nor in colder winters. Dessert textures are for Africa and the American desserts, not Europe so what are those dessert textures doing in the Alps?
In the Alps weíve got these awful Leopard skin textures (which I removed) Why are they there?? Giving strange square blocks in the landscape? Fs9 planes are mostly unflyable in FSX, while we where ďpromisedĒ backward compatibility.
Landclass files are done so poorly that almost all of NW Europe is covered with (lonely) trees. In Europe trees are mainly found in woods (or larger groups) whilst the rest of the landscape is without trees.(e.g. there are no trees around Schiphol within 10- 20 miles or so. What remains of FSX in things I do like are: wet surfaces and (most) water textures. Yes the water textures are sometimes so good one does think one is really flying over real water. Roads with cars. Airport traffic (alltough a little childish) Improved gauges in the B737 and A320 and nice missions.
I can only compare FSX with FS2000. Fs 2000 (FS7) was a big mistake, had several patches and everything was only first adjusted in FS2002. Iím afraid the same goes for FSX, so Iím looking forward to FS XI. Iíve got an awful feeling that Iíve been tricked into FSX by very nice first screenshots that did give a sense of reality but in fact donít.  FSX team, what have you done?

Looking at the realism you can't speak about FS9 and FSX in the same topic(altrhu I'm just doing that). In FS9 for example gliding was impossible, as it didn't have any upward airflow(maybe in special sceneries). Allso there was no winds along the hills, so flying (example) DC-3 near some mountain was like flying over Danmark. In FSX there are upward and downward winds on the mountain slopes so its much harder to fly there.
And if you didn't know this: You can edit texture files so that sundowns arn't green and stuff.
FSX colors are bit overdone but I'm sure it can be fixed.

Framerates arn't FSXs proplem, it's a proplem of the PC running it. FSX has been made to work with DX-10 (Vista & graphic card supporting DX-10). FSX would been big mistake if it would run on 100% settings on todays systems. So blame your PC, not the software it can't run.
I admit I'm still flying FS9 (altrhu I have FSX), but that's because there isn't LDS yet for FSX, but as soon as it (and Vista&DX-10 GPU) comes I'll be flying FSX 100%.

We had samekind of COL topic on the finnish side of the forum few months a go. Personally I don't care what FS are people returning or going.

Yeah, and I don't work for Microsoft, neather Aces or any major or less major company. (Due my age )

In FSX there are upward and downward winds on the mountain slopes so its much harder to fly there.

Only in the missions. The other types of lifts are always in the scenery if the sun is shining and it is not too cloudy. 

I also just start to use FSX, which is amazing, but I feel that it required high specs PC.  I have Pc with Pentium 4, 2.40 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, NVidia ge force 128 Gb, and when I use FSX, still feel that it sometimes freez, not moving correctly, and the pictures cmes like one by one not continuous...
if you check the support website of fsx, you'll find that they advise to do this:

Microsoft Windows XP
1. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the following check boxes:
ē Process SYSTEM.INI File
ē Process WIN.INI File
ē Load Startup Items

4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

ok when you use this system configuration, my wireless lan not working although there is signal and full, but i don't know why it is not working.

another way is:
Windows XP
1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance.
3. On the Visual Effects tab, click Adjust for best performance, and then click OK.
4. Click OK to close the System Properties dialog box.
5. Test your game.

and the last solution is:

Method 7: Rebuild the Windows paging file
Windows XP
1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Performance and Maintenance.
3. Click Administrative Tools.
4. Double-click Computer Management.
5. In the console tree, right-click Computer Management (Local), and then click Properties.
6. On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance.
7. In the Virtual memory section, click Change.
8. In the Drive list, click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
9. Under Paging file size for selected drive, type 0 (zero) for both Initial size (MB) and Maximum size (MB), and then click Set.
10. Restart the computer, and then repeat steps 1 through 6.
11. Select the System managed size option, and then click Set.

ok is anybody know why if I use the first solution i cannot use the internet?
what is the dangerous about last method No. 7? what is the meaning of "paging"?

All I gonna say its:these metods may work thx for shearing them 

Up one level

Next page