Spotting at Keflavik

(1/1)

gitsch:
Hi there,

Are there any useable spottingplaces at and around Keflavik?
I know there is a small mound left and right of the terminal, at least some years ago.
Are there any others?

Tatu:

Hi there,

Are there any useable spottingplaces at and around Keflavik?
I know there is a small mound left and right of the terminal, at least some years ago.
Are there any others?

Hi.

I live about 39 kilometers from Keflavík and have been planning to find out about the spotting places but somehow never managed to do that... yet. The terminal isn't anymore as it was few years ago and they are still building in there. I guess the "areas to the left and right" are still there, but you can only photograph the planes that are on the tarmac. And those are most likely Icelandair 757 or Iceland Express MD-90 (or something similar). I don't know what kind of attitude the local "Securitas" has on photographing.

There is a parking place somehow between the runways 29 and 20 and I think it is possible to park the car directly on the line where approach lights for the runway 20 go. But now comes the funny part, the weather in the Southwestern part of Iceland. These are like rules... When the wind blows from north the weather is fine, sun shining and good visibility. The planes of course use the runway 02, which is nowhere near the terminal. When the wind blows from east -south the weather is rainy, actually raining sideways with the wind and visibility can be poor. Not very good weather to go out with the camera. And this is when the runways 11 and 20 are in use, that's also why both have ILS.

NATO is gone.... there is no army at Keflavík nor in Iceland anymore, so it can be that if some rules and regulations have changed.

This was probably not so informative for you... maybe it is time for me to find out where and what one can do at Keflavík airport. 

There is actually quite a lot of traffic at Reykjavík too, business planes and so, and spotting places everywhere around the airport. 

gitsch:
Hi Tatu,

Thanks for your reply.

Has NATO completely gone? That´s new for me. Just know that they have reduced very much in the past years.

On Google Earth I can see a road going quite near to the runway 02, but can´t see, if this is still on airport ground
within the fences or outside.

Little off topic: What happened to Landsflug? Ernir has taken over their scheduled flights. Is this the reason why
Ernir took over a Jetstream 31?

Tatu:

Has NATO completely gone?

Yes, all that is left is an abandoned village... it is ugly, they could just demolish all of it.  The rumours say that the area could or would be used for some kind of school or university or something like that. Who knows.

On Google Earth I can see a road going quite near to the runway 02, but can´t see, if this is still on airport ground
within the fences or outside.

True, there is a road. It seems to me that it used to go through the NATO area, but I don't know how it is now.

Little off topic: What happened to Landsflug? Ernir has taken over their scheduled flights. Is this the reason why
Ernir took over a Jetstream 31?

Ernir took over Landflugs routes and it can very well be that they needed the new plane because of that, I don't really know.

Navigation

Up one level