A Virtual World Tour completed

(1/2) > >>

iwn:
Yes, you heard right, I´ve done the world. A series of screenshots from 118 flights was on the Finnish sector of this web-page. I took off from EFJO (Joensuu) in May 2005 and landed back there last week. I thought it would be nice to share some experiences here as well. Below you can see roughly the route I followed, my aim was at first to cover all the miracles of the world but soon this was abandoned. I decided it was enough to visit all the continents, few highest peaks and some of the biggest cities of the world - otherwise I would still be there.
[ Attachment not found - or removed ]
I flew various types of aircraft from light to heavies, from pistons to jets according to the lenght of the chosen leg. Thanks to the simming community I was able to find without excpetion proper colours and registrations where ever I was. Despite of the commercial addons that have found their way to my sim I used quite often freeware which is really a nice thing, thanks once again to all concerned freeware aircraft developers. In following four shots you can find some nice examples of those aircraft.

Project Fokker and their creation leaving Paris, Seine at sunset.

David Maltby´s unbelievably fine British aircraft were in keen use everywhere, here following Chilean coastline to North with Ladeco´s 1-11.

Also unforgettable moments with this FSDZign´s L-049A, this time passing the Golden Gate.

Not forgetting the workhorse NAMC YS-11, a plane that I logged perhaps most of the flying hours during my tour. This Dart-engined beauty I used in all continents except Australia (although very close to it - in the Philippines).

Even more compliments must be addressed to the freeware scenery developers, as many routes were planned according to the availability of the feeware sceneries. Not a dime was spent on sceneries and yet the most breathtaking landscapes or just a mere objects in the scenery made this effort worthwhile. This was proved already on second leg from EFHF to EFMA as I grasshopped the lighthouses on the way - created by FISD. Below shaking Längden.

Adventure among Norwegian fjords.

Arriving at Tierra del Fuego, Ushuaia.

Leaving Bella Coola in British Columbia.

A "slightly" better view to the Grand Canyon by FSGenesis.

My personal list of finest airports included Ezeiza in Buenos Aires,

...most of the airports made in Phillippines, here in Tagbilaran.

Sometimes the default scenery was almost as great, like the KLAX.

But the freeware had that something special, like Jose Marti in Cuba.

I navigated mostly by using the navigational instruments of each aircraft, which meant sometimes only a compass and on the other end the modern FMC. I tried to keep the use of the default GPS to the minimum - it was a kind of a shame to resort to it. Most of the problems were seen in the dead ADF-beacons, that were there but my plane did not receive the beam. In most cases I was able to tell where I was just looking outside, like below here, in the Mississippi Delta. This SSW A310 saved a lot of stress due to its well-behaving FMC and AP. Fast Jets took me over vast distances or over the seas.

The Concorde was perhaps the only thing I invested in because of this trip. I have no patience to fly several hours with the sim, so I cut the Atlantic crossing into three hours, although I spent several hours learning to fly it around Heathrow. I discovered the secrets of the inertial navigation system but almost in vain as it was a really close shave to stop the beast before sea in New York. Second time I resorted to Concorde was when I left Australia for Indonesia.

Third time I broke sound barrier was in Russia while waking up Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk.

The Concerde incident in KFJK reminded me of the accidents I had, honestly there weren´t many. I rolled over a Jungmann in landing in Bremershaven, I missed the runway twice (with a DC-9 and C-130) but that is all. I broke couple of jets in mid-air due to overspeed but these I don´t count as the sim seems to be oversensitive to that phenomenon. All in all believe I would have walked away from the wreck in those three cases so I could continue. And it was really worth of continuing, it  was great to see that the world was there and how interesting it was to discover by using the gifts of the fellow simmers -  I mean aircraft and sceneries made available to us all. I learnt a lot of geography and of aerial navigation. I´ll be back after the FSX lands on my PC.

ft:
Nice trip, and you made a nice post of it.

Rgds,
  /Fred

geoffco:
Wow Ismo, this is really cool stuff. I have been following your progress with this on the Finnish side of the forum... Having said that though, you've not quite finished yet:

... I decided it was enough to visit all the continents...

I believe you missed one ... look a litte further south 

Guess we'll have to let you off with that though 

Geoff

iwn:
Oh man, after two years without rye bread and Finnish sausage You come to tell me I missed a continent. Worst thing is that You got it right, I forgot Antarctis, er, my maps were a bit older... also I went to primary school in mid-seventies, perheaps it wasn´t discovered yet? Could there be an airfield long enough for the Concorde...

skuosman:
Ismo, my friend! You have done fine trip! Unfortunatly You did not visit Dar es Salaam 

saku

Navigation

Up one level

Next page