Widescreen Monitor

(1/1)

cyclingdoc:
Is there any advantage to a widescreen monitor with flight simulators?  Do you get any "peripheral vision?" Thanks.

geoffco:
Hi Robert,

In the cockpit view you see the 2D panel stretched but the outside view is wider (if you get the FS resolution set right) and in the 3D virtual cockpit view you will perhaps see an advantage. The main reason I like to use a widescreen monitor is that my peripheral vision of other "real life" things like the desk lamp and computer speakers is reduced, leading to a better sense of immersion. I even tried having a "hood" over my monitor for a while to increase this effect but the improvement was not worth keeping it!

Geoff

saabpilot:
Not really any advantage

Most affordable "widescreens" are rather low resolution (19") and also pretty small.
You will be a lot happier with e.g. Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital box and three 19" screens even if that setup cost you more.
Regular 19" TFT has dropped in price a lot so a setup like that might cost you "only" 750 .

Bjorn

geoffco:

Not really any advantage 

Most affordable "widescreens" are rather low resolution (19") and also pretty small.
You will be a lot happier with e.g. Matrox TripleHead2Go Digital box and three 19" screens even if that setup cost you more. 
Regular 19" TFT has dropped in price a lot so a setup like that might cost you "only" 750 .

Bjorn

Three is probably cool but I wouldn't like the edges too much. I'm quite happy with one 23" screen... I got it for less than 400 second hand and run it a 1920x1200 resolution which is plenty

Geoff

Navigation

Up one level