FSnordic.net
Home Help Rules Login Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
25.09.17, 00:38

Login with username, password and session length
+  FSnordic.net Forums
|-+  English Discussion
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: Thomas Hjelm)
| | |-+  chased out
:  

« previous thread next thread »
Pages: [1] Reply Print
Author Topic: chased out  (Read 1523 times)
Ilike732s
Former member
chased out
« on: 19.09.07, 08:32 »

This is likely to be my last post. I am no longer a flightsimmer. I bought a new computer with Windows MC 2005 SP2 and it locks up all the time. Forget flying. Just won't happen. Forget trying to get reports done. They don't happen. Forget doing spreadsheets & tax forms. Won't happen.

I don't have the money or the time to get it sorted. It will literally take 4 years until I can afford a new computer. My old emachines processor burnt out and left me up the creek without a paddle. Don't buy anything from E-System. Ever.

I am now very busy going to the shops to buy a parge pack of pens & notebooks. Has anybody tried very complex mathematical operations without a PhD in maths? I've got to go uni and get maths phd before I can get this backlog cleared.

Another computer user bites the dust after being chased out with Windows. It's back to Mac for me.

Regards

David
Tatu Kantomaa
Patu Cantona

Date Registered: 14.02.02

Re: chased out
« Reply #1 on: 19.09.07, 09:08 »

There must be some customer rights.... if the computer really is defected some way you should be able to get a new working one instead. It could also be possible to change the computer to a bit different one, Windows Media Center probably was not the best choice, sorry. Or you could simply replace the operating system with Windows XP, no need to go to Vista yet.

Or MAC... that isn't a bad choice, I regret that I didn't buy a MAC last year when I got my laptop. But this is life I guess...  Smiley

'Don't panic'
sgtoro
Former member
« Reply #2 on: 19.09.07, 16:25 »

Dave,
If the new computer is good, think about changing to another Windows version.  I have been using Windows 2000 pro. for several years and it's taken me through 3 computers (the operating system out lasted the computer boards) and I think it's still the most stable of the Windows systems.  I run FS2004 and have over 100 airplanes, added everything and I get no "lock ups"  Here's a link to an ebay page that has many new and used versions for sale.  Just back up your hard drive or havit done, format the hard drive and install the windows.  once that's done you can bring back your other programs.  My las computer came with Windows XP and I did the switch and haven't looked back!
Good Luck
Rich
http://search.ebay.com/windows-2000-professional_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQpqryZwindowsQ202000Q20proffessionalQQsatitleZQ22windowsQ202000Q22Q20professiona
sgtoro
Former member
« Reply #3 on: 19.09.07, 16:29 »

Dave,
Sorry but the link will take you to a page that says"nothing found"  Just add an L at the end of proffessiona in the search box, click search and the right page will come up.   Embarrassed
Rich
Ilike732s
Former member
« Reply #4 on: 19.09.07, 20:41 »

Hello everybody,

I seem to recall the last fiasco of this computer.

My DVD drive rarely works (it has apparently cyclic redundancy errors or something like that) and half my CDs won't mount. I don't know what a damaged helicopter has to do with my CD drive. I have had to replace the hard-drive 3 weeks ago after the e-systems one burnt out (it reached 120 degrees C). I now have the case open with a 9 inch Tesco desk fan blowing in the case. I need a new DVD drive so that I can actually load CDs instead of worrying about broken helicopters falling on my head. Maybe the computer knew that Colin McRae would be killed and tried to warn me (he was a rally driver from my country who crashed his Squirrel on Saturday night).

Like Baldrick from Blackadder "I have a cunning plan Mr B" - if I run FS at the fastest sim rate with autopilot my flight will take less time so boredom doesn't get in and I have more time to get on with complex probability formulae. I actually ged paid to tell somebody that if they jump out a window they are likely to die! Can you believe it?

My CPU fan happened again! You may remember me moaning about a broken blade. It happened again when I was trying to put the new hard drive in. For a moment I thought that I had a Cessna indoors! It sounds like a Lycoming at 2200 rpm. Who needs to download Cessna sounds now  Grin !

My Seagate 320 gb external hd (not the freeagent) managed to self-destruct along with ALL my freeware planes. Backup drive blows up and bye-bye Boeing! It made this somewhat unusual noise (think of a Volvo trying to get up a hill). I opened it up (I am qualified btw) and I found the platter around the stylus.

I think I got sold a lemon, so  Shocked you Bill Gates. I have heard all sorts about Media Centre 2005 SP2. I didn't know that the PC came with it installed. It has stupid things. I don't like the Windows Dancer that keeps popping up all the time. She has a scary smile  Sad 

However she's a source of amusment when Windows locks! She can be in the middle of doing something and it ends up looking a bit  Shocked sometimes. I often scream Jor (my best mate) into the room to come and see what she's doing now! It's funny! Oh my lord. She's locked again! Oh my God! This is great!

I took a screen shot (she locks - Windows doesn't) and it's funny  thmbup   thmbup   thmbup!!!

Anyway, I promise I will keep off the booze (that's why I'm talking so much).

Dave
Ilike732s
Former member
« Reply #5 on: 29.09.07, 13:54 »

Well, it's finally given up the ghost   Angry  Angry  Angry  thmbdn  thmbdn  thmbdn

I have had enough of computers. They are stupid things that do nothing but cost money and spend so much time broken. Ford Pintos have crashed less.

Compared to a 99p notebook from Tescos computers look foolish. So  thmbup to Tesco for a selling 99p jotters. I'm not buying another computer - I am too fed up with them. It's not even a year old (and it spend 6 months sitting in it's box). I have been running it since early August and we are now 5 weeks into the use and it fails. Totally useless. The Tesco notebooks have been there for a year and it still works and will always work. A Casio calculator is all that I need - and a pack of colouring pencils.

So needless to say I am leaving flightsim permamently. I have ITV 3 with "Airline" so that is all I need.

Dave.
Ilike732s
Former member
« Reply #6 on: 30.09.07, 07:34 »

I actually found out that it was the motherboard that gave up the ghost. The computer that I am using right now (emachines E4034) has Windows XP MCE 2005 SP2 and has [/b][/u]never[b][u] crashed! I am sure that my crashes must have been motherboard related.

The memory went from 1GB to 440, then to 256mb! I restarted it and it made a fire-alarm like racket and now all I can see are bricks when I start it up (if it doesn't fire-alarm-squeal). It also sounds like an ancient Land Rover (LR are  Cool ) when the fan is running.

So, it's time to go and get an emachines and use that instead. So guess whose bank account is being cleared again! I only got that money and now it's gorn  Cry again.

Peace out
signmanbob
Former member
« Reply #7 on: 12.10.07, 13:54 »

I would waste my money on an e-machine.  They are built with the cheapest components available.  All of my computers that I own have been built by a local computer builder who supports them real well.  One time he worked on my computer fixing a conflict that it had (which was more my own fault) until 9:30pm.  Then I found out it was his anniversary and he was suppose to be taking his wife out to dinner.

www.northalabamacomputers.com

If they are within your reach you should contact them.  Tell them Bob the signman sent you. Wink
Ilike732s
Former member
« Reply #8 on: 01.11.07, 16:59 »

Thanks Mr Yunuque

I actually found a Fujistu Siemens earlier in October (about the 5th or something like that). I'm not within easy reach of them, but thanks.

I have a long history with Fujitsu as they supplied the computers in the office. I now have a dual core 3.06 ghz processor and it's a great computer. It's called an Esprimo. I have Windows XP 2002 Pro SP2 and it has never crashed, not once.

Computer builders are always better as they give love and attention to each computer that leaves the building. We had a small local computer builder who went bust as computers didn't take off very well. This was when Windows XP was still unheard of (it was Windows 2K that was the latest one then...). Now, it's nestled between the local cab office and a pub  thmbup - it now sells arty-farty stuff (I am hopeless at drawing - although having said that I made an alright drawing of the local "Moes Tavern".

It's always good to know of computer builders in the states as there is a high chance I will be in the states at some point in the next five years.

Thanks once again

DiscoDave (called that after my latest project - a 2000 Land Rover Discovery II V8 that I managed to write off after a kamikaze tree hopped in front of it  laugh
R.D.W.
Former member
« Reply #9 on: 17.12.07, 10:22 »

I 'm using  a HP with Windows XP and it's a Media Center 2006 and I fly without a bit of problem as far as Emachines they
SUCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   There for buisness only along with mac's I f your going to buy another when you get the money try a HP or Sony but now every thing has Vista.Something  you might try is talking to a P/C Guru and see if they
can reformat your hard drive.. I bought a set of disks for XP2006 when my goes out I'll get another hard drive and go that
direction!!!
Pages: [1] Reply Print 
« previous thread next thread »
Jump to: