To welcome an old pop band back

(1/3) > >>

klappala:
I received an email from one of my favorite pop bands. Even though it arrived to me on April 1st, it had been sent on March 31st, so this is not an April fool's joke, it is for real. The band that I'm talking about broke up in 1994, but after 14 years of being separate ways - incredible - they got back together!

The email asked me to come to Rockefeller Plaza in New York on April 4th, because NBC broadcasts their announcement on their comeback from there at 7AM local time said day. Unfortunately I can't be there in real life, because I have to be working here in Finland, but fortunately I have a virtual airline company which takes me there virtually.

The band which I'm talking about hails from Boston, so on my way from Helsinki to New York I stopped there. At this moment the flight from Helsinki to Boston has been done, but the flight further to New York is still to be done before the appropriate high moment.

[ attachment removed ]

Our 747 ready to taxi from gate 33 of Helsinki Vantaa international airport.

[ attachment removed ]

The active runway at the moment of departure was runway 33. There was no queue so we were clear for takeoff at once.

[ attachment removed ]

So we're on our way.

[ attachment removed ]

The 747 does not climb very steeply, so it takes its time to reach the cruise altitude. It was reached at the same time when we crossed the Finland-Sweden-border above the Gulf of Bothnia between Rauma and Gävle.

[ attachment removed ]

We had to make a downwind and U-turn approach in a right-handed pattern to runway 4R of Logan. This picture is from the turn from base to final.

[ attachment removed ]

And finally at gate E8 of Logan.

We'll still fly further to JFK well before the important moment comes.

123945:
Nice story. A few comments about picture nr.3 ! I think it was a quit soon take-off  , did you used flaps? But on the other side, there was a very good feeling when you can see the runway lights. Thank you.

klappala:
OK, now it was time to fly further from Boston to New York in order to make it to Rockefeller Plaza on time.

[ attachment removed ]
The wind had turned while in Boston and it's blowing from NW now, so we had to take off using runway 33L of Logan - instead of 4R. Here we are requesting takeoff clearance which was immediately granted.

[ attachment removed ]
And here is the takeoff from Boston.

[ attachment removed ]
The city lights on the left side of the plane in this picture are Providence Rhode Island. That's where the drummer of the band whose comeback this journey celebrates gave his famous promise in the end of 1990. He said: "As long as there is one fan... will not stop", of course after doing some beatbox first (in addition to playing the drums in his band, he also does quite a lot of beatbox and rap). A bit over three years later in 1994, however, he broke his promise and became an actor. The name Endeavor Airlines to my virtual airline company originates from his actor career as one of his early movies was one where a 9-year-old boy was kidnapped, and the kidnapee's father was the CEO of an airline company called Endeavor Airlines. Now, in 2008, he finally remembered what he had promised, and is heading towards a direction where he can keep his already broken promise.

[ attachment removed ]
Here is the airport where we are supposed to land, New York Kennedy International. But where is runway 31L? Can anyone see it? Fortunately we were using ILS approach.

[ attachment removed ]
And so we finally made it to the gate. So, we made it (virtually) to New York on time for Friday 7AM at Rockefeller Plaza.

123945:
What a take-off 

Osguu:
I think you should fly higher than 3000ft with 747.

Navigation

Up one level

Next page