ERJ Panel problem in Vista

(1/2) > >>

lmhariano:
Bill

Some time ago, in my old computer, I flew Embraers in FS2004, using your excellent panel, until I reformatted (and didn't install everything back). I've tried using your panel in my almost new laptop (Dell Inspiron 1420, Core 2 Duo T5750 2GHz CPU, 3 GB RAM, Nvidia 8400M GS video card, Vista Home Premium SP1), and surprisingly I see my framerate has dropped from a stable 30 FPS to 10 (sometimes 15 if I hide the yoke). Surprisingly because I can keep those 30 FPS in detailed sceneries with bad weather and lots of traffic (70%) with aircraft like PMDG 737, Level-D 767 and Wilco E170/190... and power management at Economy (very few stutters) or Balanced (no stutters at all). The most strange thing is that when I flew in my old computer (PIV 1.6 GHz, 1 GB RAM, ATI Radeon 7500, Windows XP Pro SP2), I didn't remember getting a performance so low with this panel  . Do you know of any fix to this in order to fly with your panel in FS2004 and Vista?

Best regards from Colombia,
Luis Miguel

PS: In my old computer I used the Dreamwings model. Now that a real E145 passes over me at least once every 2 hours, I decided to install using Posky's model.

Bill_Grabowski:
Luis,

Well, I knew Vista was slow, but that IS a surprise. I don't personally use Vista (I specified Win XP Pro for the last computer I bought), and can't explain the differences. I do know that my ERJ panel uses bitmaps exclusively (it was made before I learned how to create vector graphics) and it may be related to that.

Sorry.

Bill

lmhariano:
No problem, Bill, you've just given me a clue about what would be happening  . My laptop has a little problem with FS2004: if I press Alt, it takes about 2-5 seconds until the menus are displayed. Meanwhile, I lose the image. And with some panels, I can't see the kneeboard until I mouse over the buttons (then I see the buttons).

I tried in my XP office computer (P4 2.8 GHz HT, 1.25GB RAM, Intel integrated video); at Sao José dos Campos default scenery I can keep the 30 fps with your panel, thing I can't do in my laptop. But curiously, in my laptop I can easily keep 30 fps with the PMDG 737 in addon scenery and full AI traffic, thing I can't do in my XP desktop, same aircraft, same addon scenery and less AI . The most important thing: in my desktop i have no delay between pressing Alt and seeing the menus, and also I have no problem with the kneeboard. That, and you saying your ERJ panel uses only bitmaps may indicate a problem with the video (DirectX, drivers or even the card itself). I use full screen mode, I'll try tonight and see what happens with windowed mode.

Now, does anybody here fly the ERJ panel in FS2004 in Vista? In a computer that is not a Dell Inspiron laptop? Do you have the same problems with the Alt and the kneeboard? Or it's only me?

Luis Miguel

lmhariano:
Well, I tried using windowed mode. It solved the Alt-to-menu delay problem, but not the low FPS with your panel. Even more, I lost around 8 FPS while going to windowed mode. So I went back to full-screen mode.

But here is the best part. In my dad's computer (which I don't use since I left home almost a year ago) i had a Nvidia video card, with nHancer installed. So I installed nHancer to my laptop, set it up, started FS2004 and voilà: No FPS loss using your panel... even when Vista's power management settings are at Economy. Woo hoo!!! I can fly with your panel, keep my laptop cold and keep the 30 FPS cap I set.

Problem solved, Bill.

Luis Miguel

Bill_Grabowski:
Luis,

Wonderful! Only, I have no idea what you did.

Bill

Navigation

Up one level

Next page